Subject: Re: Disapearing surface
From: [email-masked] (Jonathon Bowman)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 07:07:27 -0500

>I have a box that has three segments per side, the points have been pulled
>around to get a certain shape, but not moved a whole lot.I am using the same
>map for color, diffuse, specular and bump, if I render one frame at a time at
>random points in the sequence  to check on positions  and the like, it looks
>great.  But if I render the entire sequence out, slowly from beginning to end
>on half of the polys the surface fades up and to the left to black...the
>texture has no velocity anywhere, I've quadruple checked.
>So I isolated the affected polys as their own surface and rebuilt the texture
>and it still does it.
>In the animation the box is actually a builing thats in a scene with quite a
>few other objects, no shadows cross it and all the lights that affect it are
>stationairy, the only movement in the scene is the camera...
>Any ideas anyone? Anyone need more info to help?

        Have you checked to make sure all of the poly's are planar?  If you
have non-planar polygons, you'll sometimes get rendering errors depending
which angle the poly's are viewed from.

        Load your object back into modeller, make sure that no polygons are
selected,  and call up the polygon info box.  Press the "+" button beside
the non-planar portion of the window (right at the bottom).  This should
select all of your non-planar polygons.  Then hit Triple to triple all of
your non-planar polygons.  This should fix your problem.

        Hope this helps,
                Jonathon Bowman

********************************
*    [email-masked]       *
* www.ionline.net/~jbowman/    *
*       Lightwaver and         *
* general computer enthusiast. *
*      - Devoted fan -         *
*    - of Sonic Youth -        *
*          -and-               *
*        -Pavement-            *
********************************